DU incident: Man accused of harassment granted bail

Mostafa Asif Arnob, a 25-year-old bookbinder at the DU library, who was arrested for harassing a female student in public, was released on bail yesterday, hours after being taken into custody.
Early yesterday, a group of people identifying themselves as "Tawhidi Janata" besieged the capital's Shahbagh Police Station for around eight hours from 1:00am, demanding his release.
Toufique Hasan, sub-inspector at the police station and the investigation officer in the case, presented Arnob before a Dhaka court with a forwarding report in the morning. Metropolitan Magistrate Mehra Mahbub subsequently ordered his release on bail.
According to the forwarding report, the complainant had submitted an application to the station's officer-in-charge, requesting the withdrawal of the case. In the application, she also stated that she had no objection to Arnob's bail and that he had already apologised, the investigation officer said.
However, legal experts have pointed out that once a case is registered at a police station, there is no legal provision to withdraw it during the investigation process.
Meanwhile, the victim told the media that she had no legal representation in court.
Arnob was handed over to Shahbagh police by the DU authorities on Wednesday evening after he verbally harassed the student for not having her "scarf in the right place".
The student detailed the incident in a Facebook post, sharing a photo of Arnob.
The post read: "This man [Arnob] harassed me today [Wednesday] on my way from Shahbagh. He suddenly stopped me on the road and told me my clothing was 'inappropriate,' among other things … When I said I would call the proctor, he ran away."
Later that day, DU Proctor Saifuddin Ahmed told The Daily Star, "Around 4:30pm, we received a complaint that one of our students had been harassed by our library's assistant bookbinder, Arnob. When some students brought him to my office, we questioned him and he admitted to the harassment. We then handed him over to the police."
POLICE STATION BESIEGED
Around 1:00am, a group of people calling themselves "Tawhidi Janata" began gathering outside the police station.
They later forced their way inside, questioned the arrest, and demanded Arnob's release. Some members of the group live-streamed the incident from inside the duty officer's room. At one point, they approached the lock-up and broadcast a live interview with Arnob.
On-duty policemen attempted to prevent the group from entering, but they ignored the officers' orders.
At one point, a sub-inspector was heard telling the crowd that he had no legal authority to release or arrest anyone. The officer repeatedly requested them not to create a "mob" situation, but the crowd insisted they were "not a mob".
The agitators then took a copy of the First Information Report, which contained the victim's name, address and identity details, and shared its image on social media.
In a video clip from the police station that surfaced on Facebook, one person is heard suggesting that a theft case should be filed against the complainant, while another said, "It should be a defamation case!"
One agitator said they had learned about the arrest after Taraweeh prayers and arrived at the station around midnight. He claimed Arnob had been arrested "unjustly" and vowed to stay until his release.
Another man alleged that police had forcibly obtained Arnob's statement.
In the early hours yesterday, an agitator named Ataur Rahman Bikrompuri told reporters they had spoken with law enforcers, who assured them Arnob would be released.
"They mentioned three things: first, his job would remain intact; second, releasing him immediately from the police station might create a negative impression, so he would be formally taken to court and a proper investigation report would be filed; and third, he would eventually be released," he said.
The agitators left the area around 9:30am and proceeded to the court where Arnob was taken.
Later, photos of Arnob being greeted with garlands, a turban, and the Holy Quran went viral on social media.
On Facebook, many criticised the celebratory display for an accused harasser.
Meanwhile, in an interview with Jamuna TV, the victim said: "I have been receiving hateful comments, rape threats, and death threats … I'm extremely concerned for my safety and my family's wellbeing. I worry whether the state will provide enough security for me. I saw the accused being greeted with flowers, while I feel I have to cover my face if I leave the house. I doubt I can even leave my house like I used to, wearing normal clothes, ever again. What would be the point in continuing this case?"
The Daily Star was not able to independently contact the victim, despite repeated attempts.
DU LAW STUDENTS' STATEMENT
In a press release issued last evening, Dhaka University law students said, "It has already come to our attention that the police and university administration have encouraged the victim to withdraw the case. The university administration has, firstly, failed to provide security to its female students; secondly, it is obstructing the victim from obtaining justice; and thirdly, despite the confessional statement of the accused and other supporting evidence, it is attempting to retain him in his job.
"Protesting such disgraceful efforts, we demand a fair investigation and the permanent expulsion of the accused following its conclusion."
The students also warned that if the accused is allowed to remain in his position, they would immediately boycott all classes and exams.
They added, "From this moment onwards, Mostafa Asif Arnob is declared 'persona non grata' on the Dhaka University campus."
The DU administration, in the meantime, has formed a three-member probe committee regarding the incident.
While the accused staffer will remain suspended during the investigation, the committee will take further decisions based on the probe report, DU Proctor Saifuddin Ahmed told the media.
GONOTANTRIK CHHATRA SANGSAD
Meanwhile, Bangladesh Gonotantrik Chhatra Sangsad, the newly formed student organisation, last night suspended the membership of Kazi Mazharul Islam for spreading false information and inciting mob violence in connection with the incident, the student body said in a press release signed by its Member Secretary Zahid Ahsan.
The suspension follows a series of Facebook posts by Kazi Mazharul on Wednesday night opposing Arnob's arrest.
Gonotantrik Chhatra Sangsad has also asked him to submit a show-cause response within one working day to the convener, explaining why he should not be permanently expelled from the organisation.
Comments