Bangladesh

Violence against women: Govt promises speedy probe and trial

Vows instant arrests in incidents of mob violence

Amid vigorous protests by different quarters demanding women's safety and the administration's accountability in handling incidents of sexual assault, the government has promised steps to speed up judicial processes in such cases.

It has also vowed increased vigilance against mob violence in the wake of concerns over a rise in incidents related to angry crowds.

The government is set to amend the Women and Children Repression Prevention Act to mandate that rape case investigations be completed within 15 days instead of 30, Law Adviser Asif Nazrul said at a press briefing yesterday. 

Flanked by Home Adviser Lt Gen (retd) Jahangir Alam Chowdhury and Information Adviser Mahfuj Alam, Asif told reporters at the Secretariat that the trial duration for rape cases would also be halved, requiring completion within 90 days.

Under the existing law, rape suspects' bail is possible if the trial is not completed within 180 days, but delays in completing the trial within the 90-day period would not be grounds for granting bail under the amended law, the law adviser said.

The government has also directed law enforcement agencies to make a list of all incidents of violence against women that occurred during the tenure of the interim government. They will have to submit the list to the court. They have also been instructed to speed up the investigation of these cases, according to Asif.

"Women must be able to work at home and outdoors without any fear. Those who attempt to obstruct this with violence will be brought under the law. No leniency will be shown in this regard," he said.

The law adviser said the government planned several measures to prevent rape and violence against women. "These will soon be finalised, and necessary legal changes will be introduced."

Regarding the possible legal changes, Asif said, "Previously, if the investigating officer in a case of violence against women failed to complete the investigation within 30 days, they would be replaced. This practice will be changed. The designated investigating officer must complete the investigation within the stipulated time."

Condemning the rape of an eight-year-old girl, Asif said that rapists have no place in Bangladesh. "All those accused in the Magura incident have already been arrested. The government is working to ensure the maximum punishment for them through the legal process."

Regarding recent incidents of mob violence, the law adviser said the government took measures to tackle such acts of vigilantism and moral policing. Arrests have been made, and further actions are ongoing, according to him.

The advisers spoke about the procession brought out by banned outfit Hizb ut-Tahrir on Friday in the Baitul Mukarram area. The government would take a "zero tolerance" stance against such groups, they said.

"There is no way a banned organisation can conduct such political activities. Our law enforcers are alert about this," said Home Adviser Jahangir.

He also said the government was committed to ensuring law and order during Ramadan.

The law enforcement agencies set up nearly 50 search and frisk checkpoints at key places in the capital, and increased patrol teams in crime-prone areas, according to him.

A joint force comprised of the army, police, and the Border Guard Bangladesh was conducting operations in those areas while home ministry officials were tasked with monitoring the increased patrolling, said Jahangir.

ARREST MOBS INSTANTLY

Speaking at the briefing, Adviser Mahfuj said that from now on, anyone involved in whipping up mobs or creating any kind of disorder will be arrested directly from the spot, reports UNB.

He mentioned that discussions had taken place in the Chief Adviser's Office regarding incidents of violence and harassment against women in various locations.

He added, "The law is blind; it will not consider the criminal's caste, ethnicity, or gender, whether they are male or female. Whoever conducts mob justice—whether religious or non-religious—they will be brought under the law from today onwards."

He also said, "Any place where 'mob justice' incidents have occurred, we will take necessary legal actions or handle matters from our side through proper legal procedures.

"Mob justice, robberies, property seizures, and other social issues that have caused instability and anarchy in society will now be met with a zero-tolerance approach."

"Our intelligence agencies are active in monitoring any disturbances or incidents of mob justice from the past seven to eight months. We have instructed them to take a more proactive approach in keeping everything under surveillance.

"From today onwards, we will collect all the information collectively, and any criminal will be arrested on the spot. We will not wait for one more day," the adviser added.

Mahfuj further said programmes will be organised in collaboration with the cultural affairs ministry to raise awareness against violence and harassment of women and children.

"Additionally, we are considering monitoring media coverage of issues related to law and order, mob justice, militancy, and other potential issues to ensure they are presented properly in the media," he said.

"We will sit with the media outlets to discuss how they will focus on these issues. Our ministry will try to reorganise this establishment to ensure the public gets accurate information."

The adviser added, "For the past 6-7 months, there has been a communication war against this government, both within Bangladesh and from India. From now on, we will enter into a counter-communication war."

Comments

Violence against women: Govt promises speedy probe and trial

Vows instant arrests in incidents of mob violence

Amid vigorous protests by different quarters demanding women's safety and the administration's accountability in handling incidents of sexual assault, the government has promised steps to speed up judicial processes in such cases.

It has also vowed increased vigilance against mob violence in the wake of concerns over a rise in incidents related to angry crowds.

The government is set to amend the Women and Children Repression Prevention Act to mandate that rape case investigations be completed within 15 days instead of 30, Law Adviser Asif Nazrul said at a press briefing yesterday. 

Flanked by Home Adviser Lt Gen (retd) Jahangir Alam Chowdhury and Information Adviser Mahfuj Alam, Asif told reporters at the Secretariat that the trial duration for rape cases would also be halved, requiring completion within 90 days.

Under the existing law, rape suspects' bail is possible if the trial is not completed within 180 days, but delays in completing the trial within the 90-day period would not be grounds for granting bail under the amended law, the law adviser said.

The government has also directed law enforcement agencies to make a list of all incidents of violence against women that occurred during the tenure of the interim government. They will have to submit the list to the court. They have also been instructed to speed up the investigation of these cases, according to Asif.

"Women must be able to work at home and outdoors without any fear. Those who attempt to obstruct this with violence will be brought under the law. No leniency will be shown in this regard," he said.

The law adviser said the government planned several measures to prevent rape and violence against women. "These will soon be finalised, and necessary legal changes will be introduced."

Regarding the possible legal changes, Asif said, "Previously, if the investigating officer in a case of violence against women failed to complete the investigation within 30 days, they would be replaced. This practice will be changed. The designated investigating officer must complete the investigation within the stipulated time."

Condemning the rape of an eight-year-old girl, Asif said that rapists have no place in Bangladesh. "All those accused in the Magura incident have already been arrested. The government is working to ensure the maximum punishment for them through the legal process."

Regarding recent incidents of mob violence, the law adviser said the government took measures to tackle such acts of vigilantism and moral policing. Arrests have been made, and further actions are ongoing, according to him.

The advisers spoke about the procession brought out by banned outfit Hizb ut-Tahrir on Friday in the Baitul Mukarram area. The government would take a "zero tolerance" stance against such groups, they said.

"There is no way a banned organisation can conduct such political activities. Our law enforcers are alert about this," said Home Adviser Jahangir.

He also said the government was committed to ensuring law and order during Ramadan.

The law enforcement agencies set up nearly 50 search and frisk checkpoints at key places in the capital, and increased patrol teams in crime-prone areas, according to him.

A joint force comprised of the army, police, and the Border Guard Bangladesh was conducting operations in those areas while home ministry officials were tasked with monitoring the increased patrolling, said Jahangir.

ARREST MOBS INSTANTLY

Speaking at the briefing, Adviser Mahfuj said that from now on, anyone involved in whipping up mobs or creating any kind of disorder will be arrested directly from the spot, reports UNB.

He mentioned that discussions had taken place in the Chief Adviser's Office regarding incidents of violence and harassment against women in various locations.

He added, "The law is blind; it will not consider the criminal's caste, ethnicity, or gender, whether they are male or female. Whoever conducts mob justice—whether religious or non-religious—they will be brought under the law from today onwards."

He also said, "Any place where 'mob justice' incidents have occurred, we will take necessary legal actions or handle matters from our side through proper legal procedures.

"Mob justice, robberies, property seizures, and other social issues that have caused instability and anarchy in society will now be met with a zero-tolerance approach."

"Our intelligence agencies are active in monitoring any disturbances or incidents of mob justice from the past seven to eight months. We have instructed them to take a more proactive approach in keeping everything under surveillance.

"From today onwards, we will collect all the information collectively, and any criminal will be arrested on the spot. We will not wait for one more day," the adviser added.

Mahfuj further said programmes will be organised in collaboration with the cultural affairs ministry to raise awareness against violence and harassment of women and children.

"Additionally, we are considering monitoring media coverage of issues related to law and order, mob justice, militancy, and other potential issues to ensure they are presented properly in the media," he said.

"We will sit with the media outlets to discuss how they will focus on these issues. Our ministry will try to reorganise this establishment to ensure the public gets accurate information."

The adviser added, "For the past 6-7 months, there has been a communication war against this government, both within Bangladesh and from India. From now on, we will enter into a counter-communication war."

Comments