Kuet suspends exams, classes amid protests
The Khulna University of Engineering and Technology yesterday suspended classes and exams until February 28 and retained the ban on student politics amid protests after clashes between a group of students, including former members of Students Against Discrimination, and Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal activists on Tuesday.
Protesters marched across the campus and padlocked the main gates of several academic buildings as the authorities did not meet all their demands, which included action against those involved in politics and the clashes.
The atmosphere in Kuet remained tense. Law enforcers stood guard in front of the main gate. Army personnel patrolled the areas adjacent to the campus. Some students left the dormitories.
Tension prevailed on different campuses in Dhaka and other parts of the country, as both sides continued blaming each other for the clashes.
Pro-BNP student organisation JCD's Kuet unit alleged that Islami Chhatra Shibir activists and anti-discrimination students using the banner of "general students" attacked its activists first before the clashes broke out on Tuesday. The violence left at least 40 people injured.
Besides suspending classes and keeping the ban on student politics effective, Kuet's syndicate at a virtual meeting yesterday afternoon recommended the suspension of students involved in the clashes. It also decided that the university administration would file a case against outsiders over the violence.
Vice-Chancellor Prof Muhammad Masud said the syndicate also decided to bar teachers and employees from participating in political activities. It recommended stern action, including dismissal, in case of violation of the ban by teachers and employees. Students will face expulsion if they are found involved in politics.
The meeting formed a four-member committee, led by Prof MMA Hashem of computer science and engineering department, to investigate the clashes and identify the perpetrators. The committee was asked to submit its report in three working days.
The syndicate also decided that the university would bear all medical expenses for the injured students.
It recommended measures with guidance from Khulna divisional commissioner to ensure students' security on the campus and adjacent areas.
Hours after the clashes, the Kuet students protesting against JCD attacks made a five-point demand on Tuesday night, giving the authorities until 1:00pm yesterday to meet those.
Besides expulsion of those involved in politics on campus, they demanded legal and disciplinary action, including expulsion, against those involved in Tuesday's violence; deployment of military personnel around the campus until February 28 to ensure security; and payment of treatment costs of injured students.
They also demanded that the VC, the pro-VC, and the director of student welfare resign by acknowledging their failure to ensure students' security.
At 9:00am yesterday, they started a sit-in outside the university's medical centre, where the VC was receiving treatment. He was reportedly assaulted on Tuesday.
The protesters vowed to stay in the dormitories and boycott classes under the current administration. As their all demands were not met by the deadline, they padlocked the administrative buildings.
Asked about the demand for his resignation, VC Prof Masud evaded any specific answer, saying that four of the students' demands had been met. He also revealed the syndicate decisions and recommendations at that time.

Meanwhile, Obaidullah, former senior joint convener of Students Against Discrimination in Kuet, said that the students of the university were not taking part in the protest as members of the organisation.
The Kuet unit of the organisation was dissolved the same day it was formed on January 7 since student politics on the campus was banned, he said.
JCD General Secretary Nasir Uddin Nasir at a press conference at Dhaka University, however, alleged that Omar Faruk, former convener of Students Against Discrimination's Kuet unit, led the brutal attacks on the general students.
He also pointed the finger at Hasnat Abdullah, the convener of Students Against Discrimination's central committee, alleging that Hasnat had monitored the attacks from Dhaka.
At Jahangirnagar University in Savar, a group of leftist students formed a human chain. Addressing the gathering, Jahidul Islam Imon, general secretary of the JU unit of a faction of Bangladesh Chhatra Union, demanded a fair investigation into the clashes at Kuet, the maximum punishment for the people involved in the violence, and effective measures to ensure student safety on the campus.
JCD's Jagannath University unit brought out a silent procession and staged a sit-in protesting against the alleged attack on JCD activists at Kuet. Mehedi Hasan Himel, convener of the unit, said they want all student organisations to co-exist on every campus.
Students Forum and Human Rights Society, two organisations of Jagannath University students, held separate protest programmes against the attacks on Kuet students.
Emphasising the "peaceful nature" of Kuet students' protest, they described the attacks as "barbaric" and "clearly a terrorist act". They also demanded justice and the restoration of a democratic environment in educational institutions.
[Our correspondents in Khulna, Jahangirnagar University, and Jagannath University also contributed to this report.]
Comments